Using Youtube for Math....Place Value



This week I completed some walkthroughs and LOVED seeing how grade levels were teaching place value!  It is pretty amazing to visit 3rd grade classrooms and see how they are all teaching the same thing, but differently by adding their own teaching style.  The same was for our 4th and 5th grade teachers.

*Note: When I do walkthroughs I go vertically, 3, 4, 5 or 5, 4, 3.  This is to see the vertical alignment within our school and to ensure I don't see the same lesson in a 3rd grade class in a 4th or 5th grade class. 

As I was visiting classrooms I was surprised at how many teachers weren't utilizing technology. One simple way to integrate technology into your math lessons is through the use videos from Youtube.  The use of videos is a great way to "catch" your students interest, teach/review the skill, and it grabs their attention because it's not just you standing up there talking. 

I have found some great videos for you to use in your own Place Value lessons!


This video is geared toward the lower grades, but is great for your lower learners to review place value and fabulous visual representation.



This is a great Place Value Rap!  It can be very catchy!  From the comments on the video from kids it is helpful and one they can't get out of their heads....every teacher's dream!



Who doesn't love School House Rock!?!  I like this video because it demonstrates the importance of Zero in place value.  I often find kids forget that Zero is a number.


Do you have a favorite video you use in your math instruction?  Please link up a math post or a video.  Thanks!




No comments

Back to Top